Share
twitterlinkedinfacebook
Image 1 of 1
ADA01477CAP.jpg
A leaning tree stands in an open space next to a building in the Tarrafal camp. The camp was built during the regime of Antonio de Oliveira Salazar in the 1930 in the then colony of Cape Verde. It was known as 'Campo da Morte Lenta' (Camp of Slow Death). Regime opponents, anarchists, communists and African independence leaders fighting Portuguese colonialism were incarcerated here. The camp was closed in 1954 but then reopened in 1961 when the independence struggles became more intense.