Share
twitterlinkedinfacebook
Image 1 of 1
ADA01489CAP.jpg
The entrance to a cell where prisoners from the colony of Guinea Bissau were kept at Tarrafal Camp. The camp was built during the regime of Antonio de Oliveira Salazar in the 1930 in the then colony of Cape Verde. It was known as 'Campo da Morte Lenta' (Camp of Slow Death). Regime opponents, anarchists, communists and African independence leaders fighting Portuguese colonialism were incarcerated here. The camp was closed in 1954 but then reopened in 1961 when the independence struggles became more intense.