Share
twitterlinkedinfacebook
Image 1 of 1
AVI00088SEN.jpg
© Ami Vitale / Panos Pictures..Senegalese traders feed their horses at sunrise before the local fishermen have brought in the days harvest  in the town of St. Louis in Senegal.  West Africa has suffered massive overfishing by foreign fishing fleets, with local small fishing boats forced to fish further and further out to sea or to concentrate their activities in sensitive coastal areas.  In the last 45 years, foreign vessels,   caught an estimated 80 percent of the fish taken from West African waters. The coastal nations took home the remaining 20 percent. And their share may get smaller..(Photo by Ami Vitale)